Peter Loso was one of the first settlers to arrive to the St. Joseph area and founded the German pay out in August, 1854. He claimed section 9-10 which the Village of Saint Joseph was platted. Numerous others soon followed and the Township was prepared in 1858 covering 81 square kilometers. Formerly called Clinton, St. Joseph bought its current name in 1870. Many settlers came for the land, with its fertile soils, and the opportunities America provided.
The settlers built many businesses and homes and finally the Community was integrated in 1890. As the township grew, so have the needs of its citizens, and the concerns of the lawmakers. As a part of their agenda in the 1890's, they made a decision to construct a prison, install a open public well, build and repair real wood sidewalks, and arranged liquor licenses at $500 each. Fires were also problems and around 1885 the Hook and Ladder Co. No. 1 was organized, which is currently the St. Joseph Flames Dept.
By the first 1900's St. Joseph was growing with around Saint Joseph Missouri 600 residents. Farming was starting to support the people after multiple many years of hardship because of the severe winters and the grasshopper plague of 1856. The milking machine became available in 1905 minimizing enough time to milk cows click here so more time could be spent on crops and dog care. Immediately after, World Conflict 1 required many farmers to leave their homes to deal with.
After the warfare ended individuals were able to get their lives back again on the right track, at least for a while, before the stock market crash in 1929. Also, at this time, prohibition was in effect so many of the farmers considered making moonshine, which slightly reduced the hardships of the market crash. Along with the depression effecting every person in town, the city needed to remain together as part check here of your. Through a federal government give, the Council was able to hire the jobless to help clean and keep maintaining the Village.
On December 7, 1941 japan bombed Pearl Harbor which officially got into the united states into World Battle 2. Rationing tokens were given out because so many items were in short supply. In those days St. Joseph acquired a society of around 1050, burning off 10 heroic troops to the war. The community continued to be strong and continued to increase the Village, adding a normal water tower in 1949, along with a new Community well. In 1959, St. Joseph started fluoridating its water supply, and remains to do so.